I have this love-hate relationship with knit toys. I love the end result, but they all seem to involve my least favourite part of knitting – sewing. For some reason I had this crazy idea that if I knit a toy as a flat square it would be more fun to assemble. Actually, it was more on the lines of: “a square is easy to knit. I’ll worry about the details later”. If I had a nickel every time I thought the last part of the that thought…
Anyway, I got to this stage:
…thought “WHAT was I thinking!” (again, if I had a nickel) and settled down with the instructions to figure it out.
The put together involved counting, and apparently also had some dependence on knitting the exact number of rows, not just knitting til it sort of looked like a square. As I got putting it together, I kept thinking:
“My that head looks small.”
I did the next couple of instructions, assuring myself it was one of those mysteries of the universe that would suddenly make sense when it was done.
It didn’t; the head still looks small.
Continue reading “The Saddest Weiner Dog Ever”
Heading into the Thanksgiving season (at least here in Canada) I decided I wanted to try knitting pumpkins. A quick Ravelry search turned up a couple of patterns. I ended up trying both, and settled on a hybrid of the two, with a little inspiration on the top from a pumpkin hat.
Patterns: Great Pumpkin, Pumpkin Spice, and Little Pumpkin.
Yarn: Remnants of Knit Picks Swish Worsted, Cascade 220 Superwash (about 35 yards of each)
Needles: Knitters Pride Marblz US 5 (3.75 mm)
I loved how these turned out. They’re a cute, quick knit for the holidays.
Lobster season is finished today and I (somewhat appropriately) have finished knitting a lobster toy. It’s knit in Knit Picks Simply Cotton in Carnelian Heather. It was a relatively easy knit, though I didn’t quite get the trick to make “bends” in the claws and legs. I think he turned out cute regardless.
Two weeks ago I wrote about how I screwed up the pattern (for the second time) of the toy airplane I was knitting. I cheekily said at the end that it was just the propellers left. Surely I wouldn’t have to write about a third issue with the project.
You know what they say about tempting fate….
There it is; my floppy propellor. It’s like a handlebar moustache after too much Tequila.
Seriously, there are no more words.
So I cut it off. And reknit it on smaller needles so it would be stiffer. The result was much better:
Pattern: Airplane Toy
Yarn: Bernat Cottontots (a variety of colours from my stash)
Needles: 4.0 mm Knitter’s Pride Marblz Interchangeables; 3.5 Knit Picks Harmony Straights
Last thoughts: It actually turned out really cute. And despite my idiotic mistakes, it was an easy pattern. I’m definitely glad I tried it. I like my modification for a smaller needle size for propellor; next time I’d knit the body in the round.
I swear I am not a complete idiot. I may not be a rocket scientist, but I have a somewhat reasonable grasp of the English language. I’ve always considered myself someone who enjoys reading. I believe my comprehension level is somewhere in the average range. I’ve managed to hold down a job for 20+ years. I feed and dress myself daily. (OK, so my success with those two is somewhat relative, but I haven’t starved or left the house naked). So, for the love of God, why am I having so much trouble reading this freaking pattern?!?
Still reeling from the debacle that was the-sewing-on-of-the-wings, I
cheerfully cast on the tail. I didn’t have oodles of free time this week, so it was sporadic knitting at best. I’m telling myself that’s why I didn’t notice that the tail was completely out of scale with the rest of the plane.
It’s like it’s wearing the dunce hat that was meant for me. I was convinced I’d done it according to the pattern and I knew I wouldn’t be happy (as per #KnitFail Version 1.0), so I decided to knit another wing and it would work for the tail. That was when I saw it: cast on 30 stitches, not the 40 I had done. That’s very different. About this much different:
And on the plane, it looks, well, like a tail should:
It’s just the propellor left. For the love of all that is good and holy, I hope I don’t have to write #KnitFail Version 3.0
PS: The original tail is pinned on roughly; even I wasn’t delusional enough to sew it on.
Last weekend I started knitting a toy airplane.
After working on socks for a while now, a project in worsted weight yarn felt like it was flying off my needles. And despite being slightly annoyed with myself that I didn’t think about adapting the pattern to be knit in the round (and thereby lessening a bit of the sewing portion of the project) I was having fun knitting. Sunday night, as I started knitting the tail section, I kept looking at what I had done so far and then I saw it:
I had sewed the wings on backwards! 😦 After a few minutes of trying to convince myself that no one would notice, I took a deep breath and set everything aside until tonight when I decided it was time. I carefully snipped the yarn I’d used to sew it up.
The last thing I needed at this point was to accidentally snip a wing or the body of the plane. I told myself it was actually a good thing. I could do a better job of centering the wings on the body, which had been bugging up until I discovered the real botch up.
So I replaced one wing at a time.
And now I’m back to where I thought I was Sunday night.
- If it bugs you, it’s usually worth it to go back and fix it. (I think that could be a bigger life lesson too)
- For goodness sake, when the pattern says to attach according to photo, look at the freakin’ photo!