I’ve been in a weird knitting funk lately. I’m not knitting as much; what I am knitting I’m not really finishing; and what I am finishing, well, it doesn’t rank high on the excitement scale (“oh look: another dishcloth”*).
I did manage to finish a cable hat recently. I love the look of cable hats but I’ve not knit that many of them. Evergreen Cap was an easy knit. I did have a bit of problem with maintaining the cables through the top decreases, but I think that’s more related to my completely misplaced faith in my ability to remember my place in the pattern without marking it than the pattern itself. (This also manifests in a belief that I don’t need a grocery list because I’ll remember everything I need when I’m at the store.)
I finished another dishcloth this week from the Knit Picks Clean and Crafty collection. The Knotted Cable Dishcloth was posted two weeks ago and I was a little hesitant to start another cable project after just finishing the cable cape. However, the pattern was easy to follow and (almost) memorize. While it’s a little larger than I normally would like (23 cm/9 inch square) it knit up relatively quickly.
Overall, I liked the pattern and the finished result.
A couple of weeks my Facebook feed was abuzz about a mystery novel that was set on Grand Manan. While it wouldn’t necessarily be a book I would choose to read, the idea of a book set on the island was too good to pass up.
I have to admit, I struggled to get into the book. Parts of the book (particularly the geography) are so bang on that the parts that aren’t are even more jarring. Some of the descriptions of the island residents, their values, and the fishery aggravated me because of some of the inaccuracies. About a third of the way into the book, I began to accept that while the book was set on Grand Manan, it wasn’t set on “my” Grand Manan. I started to enjoy the parts that rang true and let slide those that didn’t. I even realized that one of the things that bothered me from the beginning was actually part of the resolution. 😀
Had the book not been set on the island, I likely wouldn’t have stuck it out to the finish, but by the end I was anxious to see “who done it”. I guess in the end it “got me”.
Meanwhile, I’m in the midst of seven days of travel for work. There hasn’t been a lot of knitting time until today’s meeting, but I’m working on finishing some travel knitting that I’ve been carrying for a while, namely a sock and a dishcloth.
I’ve made a concerted effort this week to finish some of my “almost done” projects. The fact the monkey and mittens are for a birthday party tomorrow helped for motivation. Apparently green is a colour of choice for me – picnic table included!
In effort to break out of my knitting funk I took advantage of the Canada Day holiday and Hurricane Arthur’s trip through the Maritimes on Saturday to try and get myself to a happier place with my knitting. Having a lot of projects in not good places was making everything not fun, so I decided to face the issue head on. Canada Day I sewed in the ends on a pair of socks that have been sitting done but for that for weeks. The fact they were a birthday gift for this week was a bit of incentive to start things off:
Last fall I went to an afternoon workshop on the Honey Comb Shadow Lace Shawl. I liked the pattern; it was a fun knit. I worked away on it until I got distracted by Christmas knitting. It’s been languishing in my knitting basket where I’d keep looking at it wishing I’d finish it. So with the winds of Arthur knocking out power (only for 45 minutes for me; much luckier than many) I picked it up again:
I cast off Saturday night and sewed in the ends today. I knit it in yarn that came together as a set: String Theory Colorworks Inertia in “Apus” and Haldecraft’s Andre in “None of Your Beeswax”. (“None of Your Beeswax” and “Honey Comb” – how perfect is that!) 🙂
Since I was in the sewing up mode, I even did a couple of dishcloths (I don’t know why I avoid this part of knitting):
I’d also been avoiding my Crackerjack Cowl. I started the project with yarn from my stash that were the perfect colours. I had multiple balls of each except for the light blue. As I got to the end of May I was getting an uneasy feeling that I was going to run out before I ran out of games.
I also wasn’t thrilled with the transition between colours. This was one of the skills that I was hoping to improve with this project:
So, I ripped it out and started over. It was frustrating to have come that far to go backwards, but I knew it would be worse to do in August or September. I liked the width of the stripes so I decreased from 50 to 30 stitches. Hopefully that will get me to the end of the season. My goal next weekend is to at least get to where I was if not caught up all together. I feel better about knitting knowing I’m (hopefully) not looking at getting almost done and running out of yarn.
The magic has worn off my two at a time socks. I hadn’t picked them up in ages probably because they were approaching the heel flap. A bit of time and voila:
These will be my first of nine pair of Christmas socks for nieces and nephews.
While I’m trying not to think about looming deadlines (yet) part of my issue has been that I’m about to hit the road for work travel for the next 5 days. I will normally take a sock with me in case I have a chance to work on it during a meeting, but I don’t like working on the heel or toe (it takes a bit more concentration). Of course, my current sock project is here:
Hopefully the two ferry crossings tomorrow will move me on to the instep. Otherwise I’m starting another pair…because that’s exactly what I need: another unfinished project.