Someone cheerfully pointed out today that it’s 13 weeks til Christmas. While I knew it was coming (the no’theast gale outside tonight is a pretty good clue) I wasn’t ready to put an actual number on it.
Several years ago I started knitting socks for my nieces and nephews for Christmas. They were little; their feet were also little. There were fewer of them; now there’s 9. That means 18 socks. In 13 weeks.
My panic is beginning to subside slightly. It’s not like I’m starting from zero. I started two at a time socks in May:
I should probably finish them soon.
I have another pair started I’ve been working on in meetings:
And that’s it. Not even a full pair.
My goal: finish these two pair, plus another 2 pair next month.
A couple of weeks ago I came across a pin that detailed a different way to make the thumb in a pair of mittens. With nothing to lose except my least favourite part of knitting mittens (for some reason I find rows of increases frustrating) I decided to give it a try. It is deceptively easy: knit 5 stitches with a piece of scrap yarn.
Slip the 5 stitches back to the left needle and knit across:
When you’re done the mitten, go back and pick up the stitches on the scrap yarn, pick up a couple on either side, and off you go.
Easy peasy! I love this technique; it’s so easy, makes a nice thumb, (and did I mention it was easy?)
So my quest into mitten knittin’ has not been without its hiccups. I finished one mitten and realized I wasn’t going to have enough yarn for a second, so I decided to make the thumb a different colour, and make the other the opposite.
My niece will be 7 and it will be right up her alley. Great plan, except that as I was knitting the second mitten, I began to notice something a bit off:
My second mitten seemed to be a bit smaller than the first. Surely I was mistaken, so I hauled out my trusting measuring tape:
Yes, that’s a centimetre difference. It’s noticeable. For the record, my niece’s hands appear to be relatively the same size, so I don’t think I can pass it off as “planned.”
I confess, I’m not a gauge person. I like to wing it. Besides, I’m using mostly Cascade 220 Superwash, so it as long as I knit them the same, it should turn out ok. Except the purple yarn wasn’t 220 Superwash, it was Greenland. A yarn I bought on clearance. A yarn I really liked. Or at least I did until I did a little search on Ravelry:
It’s not worsted. Which is what I thought it was when I bought it.
It’s Aran. Which is different.
Apparently about a centimetre different on a pair of kids mittens.
This summer, I have done a very limited amount of knitting. For a variety of reasons, the knitting mojo was completely gone. Eventually, it was time to start again. I realized that suddenly (finally) it was fall. Babies were coming, and birthdays, and cold weather, and I felt like knitting hats…so hats I made.